Employer: Health Data Research UK
Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer
Location: HDR UK Offices, Health Data Research UK, Gibbs Building, 215 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE. All HDR UK roles are primarily based at the London offices, however we are flexibly working across a number of geographical locations. Travel may be required to HDR UK locations and partner organisations.
Contract type: This is a permanent, full time role
More than ever before, access to large scale health data and analytics is critical the fight against illness and disease. By combining data and expertise from academia, research and healthcare we can create a more informed picture of global health, and how we can best protect it.
Health Data Research UK (HDR UK) is the national Institute for health data science with a mission to unite the UK’s health data to enable discoveries that improve people’s lives. The work we’re doing is making a difference every single day. We’ve been absolutely central to the UK’s response to COVID-19, enabling a trustworthy, national approach to using health data that draws on the full capabilities of UK research.
It’s a fast-paced, cutting-edge place to work, and our success means we’re now growing rapidly – creating a host of opportunities for committed, motivated people across the organisation. We employ talented individuals who bring their own unique skills and experience to support the vision and benefit the whole team.
We now have a unique opportunity for a Chief Technology Officer to join the Executive Team to provide technology leadership for Health Data Research UK, including driving the technology vision of the Health Data Research Innovation Gateway. Launched in February this year, the Gateway provides a common entry point to discover and request access to UK health datasets, including those that are helping to tackle COVID-19, helping scientists to help answer their important research questions. You will also be responsible for ensuring HDR UK has the technology infrastructure and skills to deliver its mission.
This is a high-profile leadership role with major UK-wide responsibilities and so it is essential that you have authoritative knowledge and understanding of enterprise architecture concepts, agile system development and open source. You will be capable of building effective relationships and networks of individuals and organisations, both within the UK and internationally, with proven business analysis and leadership skills.
* Gateway product owner
* Leading the design and definition of the Health Data Research Innovation Gateway and coordinating supporting infrastructure partnerships, to improve the secure access and improved utility of UK health data for research and innovation.
* Line management of the Health Data Research Innovation Gateway team.
* Accountable to the Executive Committee and HDR UK Improving & Uniting Data Delivery Group (IDG) for the delivery of the Gateway programme, including budget management, and for ensuring effective integration with other activities (e.g., the UK Health Data Research Alliance and Health Data Research Hubs).
* Provide strategic and technical accountability and leadership for HDR UK’s information technology, and responsible for HDR UK achieving ISO27001
* Review HDR UK strategic opportunities and projects to ensure they conform with a consistent enterprise architecture and provide specialist input to projects to ensure the quality of project deliverables.
* Work with the Director, CEO and other members of the Executive Committee to lead the development and implementation of governance and processes to support the mission, specifically leading development and dissemination of information on technology advances and tools to the HDR UK community.
* Champion HDR UK’s mission, research and projects, for example, representing HDR UK in appropriate technology forums and conferences.
Knowledge, skills and experience
* Authoritative knowledge and understanding of enterprise architecture concepts, of agile system development project life cycle, and of open source.
* Effective communication and interpersonal skills, able to persuade, motivate and lead others at all levels, and to explain concepts without technical jargon.
* Business analysis skills that are identifiable through previous experience.
* Ability and willingness to provide technical leadership.
* Experienced in leading a team of direct reports, and managing contracts and partnerships
* Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to absorb complex information and quickly identify the key points.
* Technology and political neutrality.
* Confidence to work under pressure to deliver effective and high quality outputs.
* Understanding of relevant legislation and the impact of non-compliance.
The job-holder will have a large degree of autonomy working with external partners and leading a team and thus a significant amount of responsibility. They will be capable of building effective relationships and networks of individuals and organisations, including volunteers, senior levels of management in health, social care and industry as well as developing information systems and data architecture that facilitate the smooth running of such networks.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter of no more than 500 words explaining what you can bring to this role, including your current salary.
Closing date: 2nd November 2020
Interview date: Either the 11th or 18th of November (to be confirmed)
Equal Opportunities Policy Statement:
Health Data Research UK is an equal opportunities employer, and as such aims to treat all employees, consultants and applicants fairly. It is our policy to provide employment equality to all, irrespective of:
* Gender, including gender reassignment
* Marital or civil partnership status
* Having or not having dependants
* Religion or belief
* Race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins)
* Sexual orientation
We are opposed to all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination. All job applicants and employees who work for us will be treated fairly and will not be unfairly discriminated against on any of the above grounds. Decisions about recruitment and selection, promotion, training or any other benefit will be made objectively and without unlawful discrimination
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.co.uk.