Would you like to work in a constantly evolving space within Digital at the Department for Transport?
Do you have a passion for Delivering change and working across a range of innovative projects?
The Department for Transport's (DfT) Digital Service is a leading-edge government capability that provides digital, data and technology (DDaT) to our users. We were established in September 2017 and deliver a blend of services, primarily to our ministerial department.
DfT works with our agencies and partners to support the transport network that helps the UK’s businesses and gets people and goods travelling around the country. We plan and invest in transport infrastructure to keep the UK on the move.
The Digital Project Delivery team provide end-to-end technical delivery of a portfolio of projects and services that responds to DfT needs and priorities, applying a number of modern delivery methods and techniques. We work with a number of suppliers in blended teams, to deliver maximum value to our users, making sure that services remain fit for purpose and are continually improved.
The development team build new services on the Google Cloud Platform using .Net core 5 as the standard programming language. Services are hosted in docker containers on the GCP environment, allowing the team to utilise the CICD pipeline and the automated tools that link with GIT Hub as the main repository The department uses Version One as the Agile Life cycle tool to manage the portfolio of projects and agile services. The team also support and maintain a growing portfolio of over 20 live digital services.
The team follow a set of architectural principles and standards (including reuse and microservices), but are always innovating and evolving. There is a wealth of training and development opportunities available and genuine opportunities to make a real difference to the transport users of the UK, through our work.
To be successful in this role you will be a team player, with a strong background in software development. Focused and passionate about Agile projects and service delivery, you will be an experienced leader, capable of managing teams across a range of the digital functions. You will have learned lots on your career journey, which you now share freely with others, instilling a learning and CI culture in your teams and beyond, to maximise value.
You will own the Development processes, practices and tooling, including service validation and testing. You will ensure that components and services are to the standards of DFT and Government, to ensure user needs, security, quality expectations and business requirements are met.
How to Apply
When considering applying please look at how your experience relates to the role, and within your CV and Personal Statement please provide detailed evidence of your experience of the following:
• Experience of managing developer team services within an IT environment:
• Agile working. You know how to coach and lead teams in Agile and Lean practices, determining the right approach for the team to take and evaluating this through the life of a project. You can think of new and innovative ways of working to achieve the right outcomes. You are able to act as a recognised expert and advocate for the approaches, continuously reflecting and challenging the team.
• Life-cycle perspective. You can apply experience of multiple parts of the product life cycle. You can recognise when it is right to move forward and when it is right to stop. You can recognise the appropriate deliverables and the right people to meet these. You are able to work with other agile delivery operations throughout the product life cycle. You can plan and engage with the appropriate stakeholders at a particular stage in the project.
• Operational management. You keep abreast of industry best practice and can cascade ways of working. You know how to make operations efficient. You can act as the escalation point for major operational issues and champion operational management across the community. You can work closely with leaders of operational delivery teams in digital, data and technology (DDaT).
• Strategic ownership. You can develop a long-term vision and objectives. You are discerning and disciplined in focusing on what is important and most relevant. You know how to develop the capability of others.
• User focus. You know how to give direction on which tools or methods to use. You are experienced in meeting the needs of users across a variety of channels. You can bring insight and expertise in how user needs have changed over time to ensure these are met by the business. You know how to apply strategic thinking in how to provide the best service for the end user
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.co.uk.