Job Title: Software Solutions Lead
Location: Ashchurch (Flexible on location)
At Babcock Mission Systems we are looking for a Software Solutions Lead with significant Software Development and / or Applications Engineering experience. The Software Solutions Lead will lead all software and solutions development activities within the growth area of our business and also support the integration of software development within "business as usual" projects to existing customers.
Babcock provides complex technical solutions and support to both UK and international defence and government customers. We deploy and support state of the art communications and information systems in military environments within the Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) domain.
This is a unique opportunity for an experienced software developer with experience in owning technical solutions and leading technical teams. The role will comprise activities such as:
* Owning the technical solution for a number of products in the domains of Command & Control, Electronic Warfare and Spectrum Monitoring.
* Leading an existing and growing team of Software and Solutions Engineers who develop bespoke solutions to customer problems as well as contribute to the development roadmap.
* Providing deep technical input and thought leadership into wider business activities, such as new opportunities, collaboration with partners or other parts of Babcock.
* Giving technical demonstrations to potential and existing customers and championing Babcock's technical expertise, including at exhibitions and trade shows.
* Developing the technology roadmap for various products and offerings and the capability roadmap for the solutions team as a whole.
Who are we looking for?
An individual in a senior role with significant practical experience in Software Engineering and Systems Engineering and excellent leadership ability would be well suited to this role. Candidates should have:
* Leadership experience with small/medium-sized technical teams
* Hands-on software development experience, covering industry standard languages such as C#, Python, or Java, including web applications
* A confident ability to converse with and present to external and internal customers
* Excellent thought leadership skills – you will be expected to work with our customers and staff to define and refine solutions and ways of working
* Experience in defining team strategy, including technology and capability roadmaps would be great
* Experience working in a relevant defence domain such as ISR, Electronic Warfare, Communications or Command & Control would be desirable but is not essential
* A good understanding of commercial operations, such as contract mechanisms, risk management, engineering governance / assurance, finance and supply chain
In return for your skills and passion, you'll get:
* A competitive salary reflective of your experience
* A flexible working pattern, which includes options to better integrate your work and personal life, whilst ensuring that business needs are met.
* Flexiblity on location! Where possible we encourage working from anywhere! This includes from your home or from Babcock offices or workshops, collaboration spaces and customer sites around the UK
* The opportunity to work with new technology. This is an exciting technology business at the heart of the Babcock – New and Exciting technologies are in our DNA and you have the opportunity to work on some of the most exciting engineering and technology projects this country has to offer
* The potential to develop skills – Our business is a dynamic working environment and it's moving quickly – we want you to be part of it. We will help you grow your capabilities through on-the-job learning, working with our customers and working with our supply chain.
* Opportunities to travel within the UK – The customers that we serve are located all around the UK, and you will help us by engaging with them, and bringing them closer to us
* Professional Registration and a route to either Incorporated or Chartered Engineer status. We will cover all associated membership fees with a professional body.
What else do I need to know?
* All applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK and be subject to satisfactory security clearance which includes 3 years reference checks. Verification of any qualifications/passport/licences must be shown at interview stage.
* We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview
If you are currently employed by Babcock/Cavendish Nuclear please let your line manager know that you're applying for this vacancy. You should also let them know if you are attending an interview or assessment for a role.
Please note that you will not be able to access the vacancy details after the closing date so you may wish to keep a copy of this advert and any supporting documents for your records.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.co.uk.