Linux DevOps Engineer
You will help to operate extraordinary software that supports us as an organisation and the network we are responsible for running. Our network is the largest and most advanced R&E (Research & Education) network in the world, connecting over 50 million users at 10,000 institutions across Europe. We provide users with highly reliable, unconstrained access to computing, analysis, storage, applications and other resources.
Reporting to the Head of Software Development, this role is a key part of our small and highly collaborative software team, which is located across our Cambridge and Amsterdam offices. You will be interacting with the software, IT, Security and Network Engineers. You will be responsible for deploying and configuring in-house/third-party developed software applications, supporting agile software development practices including continuous deployment and providing operational support to live applications.
This is a collaborative role where you will enjoy regular contact with the solution architect, other software developers, and the product owners and stakeholders in an Agile environment.
* Work with developers to support a seamless process between development and daily operations to embed an effective DevOps capability
* Automate efficient working practices where possible
* Formulate strategies for DevOps and continuous release processes
* Share expertise on DevOps tools and developing an agile culture
* Support the setup of team environments
* Co-ordinate VMs, bare metal, containers provisioning
* Provide solutions by complying with the security standards of the organisation.
* Setting up and configuring new systems, installing and maintaining the application software and coordinating the networking connectivity.
* Maintain up-to-date knowledge of Linux systems.
* Other duties as may reasonably be required.
Experience, Knowledge and Skills
* Educated to degree level, or equivalent, in computer science or related discipline.
* In-depth knowledge of Linux: Ubuntu and RHEL (CentOS)
* In-depth knowledge of common Linux services, such as email, web servers, LDAP, PAM, DNS etc.
* VMWare deployment/management experience
* Comfort with maintaining DevOps tools written in Bash or Python.
* Linux network and configuration troubleshooting and management.
* Project work related to in-house technologies
* Experienced Linux BAU support – 1st, 2nd and 3rd line
Ability to support the whole application lifecycle, including:
* VM deployment, using our custom Terraform-based implementation
* Bare metal deployment using Packer, Cobbler
* Extensive experience with Puppet in multi-stack environments
* Experience with container orchestration frameworks, specifically Nomad is a plus.
* The Hashicorp stack: Nomad, Consul, Vault and Terraform.
* Monitoring solutions such as Sensu-go, and Grafana.
* SQL, NoSQL and Time-series Databases, and associated clustering/HA technologies: MySQL flavours (with Galera), PostgreSQL (with Repmgr), Redis (master/slave, optionally with Sentinel), InfluxDB.
* Load balancing using HAProxy, Traefik.
* Puppet configuration management (knowledge of Ansible is a plus).
* Extensive experience and comfort working with Git
* CI/CD using Jenkins and Gitlab.
Experience with ELK and/or Splunk
Knowledge of SAML (Shibboleth/SimpleSAMLPHP) configuration
Experience with Cloud technologies
Understanding of ITIL Framework
We are adopting a flexible-hybrid model which means that employees will work flexibly between a remote and office environment. Weekly visits to the office are required for most employees to support our values and collaborative culture and enable our teams to deliver great work. These arrangements will be role dependent and must be agreed with your line manager. For this role we anticipate that you will be required in the office at least 2 days per week. This requirement may change, and you may be required to attend the office on more days per week from time to time or on an on-going basis if the needs of the business change.
Occasional travel within Europe may be required as part of this role
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.co.uk.