Linux Desktop Support Engineer required for an urgent 2 month contract starting ASAP. You will need to be available immediately.
Location – Near Sutton / Surrey
This role is to facilitate the standardisation of the Linux Desktops.
There are a number of Linux users/machines that currently have a variety of installs and configurations, this role is required to remove the licenced version of Centrify and replace it with the free version.
There are approximately 25 machines which will need to be reconfigured. In some cases this will mean rebuilding and upgrading machines to the current Ubuntu Distro. Some have a dual boot configuration which is preferred to move away from in favour of a Windows VM Box
Successful Applicants must have technical experience as follows:
• Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, 16.04 LTS, 18.04 LTS, and 20.40 LTS Desktop support experience including troubleshooting.
• Local account and local group creation and management.
• Knowledge of UID’s and GID’s and how to set them specifically.
• Linux file and directory permissions and how to change them. I.E. chmod command
• Linux file and directory ownership and how to change them. I.E. chown command
• Some Bash scripting knowledge.
• Windows Active Directory.
• Some Centrify Direct Control experience desirable but not essential.
• SSH / SFTP. *
• Dell hardware knowledge including graphics drivers / Apt NVIDIA driver repositories. *
• Patching and upgrading Ubuntu.
• Hard disk partitioning including LVM. *
• SMB drive mounting. *
• DHCP and Netplan. *
• Rsync. *
• Virtual box on Linux / Windows 10
The applicant will be required to engage with the scientific users of the Linux OS and comfortable to coordinate and arrange for works to be carried out around their timetables and work patterns
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.co.uk.