As part of the Staffordshire Digital Innovation Partnerships project, Staffordshire University has entered into a partnership with an innovative and growing Staffordshire based company who are leading importers and distributors of Fantasy and Gothic Giftware supplying the retail trade throughout UK and Europe. The company’s vision is to be the brand that dominates and sets trends in the fantasy giftware market by collaborating with the world’s leading creative innovators. Their mission is to be fanatical about meeting and exceeding our customers’ needs by constantly delighting them with exciting and innovative products, empowering people to express their individuality.
We are looking to recruit a graduate / undergraduate to take on a specific project focused on creating a user interface that allows the business to quickly understand the performance of each product. This will also provide meaningful estimates that inform management decisions and ultimately facilitate growth and improve our stock purchasing efficiencies.
Duties and responsibilities
* Work with the purchasing team to agree and specify analysis questions-
* Perform feasibility analysis on available datasets and sources
* Develop new attributes or data features (feature engineering), for building the machine learning model
* Design and build machine learning algorithms relevant to the defined objectives
* Test outputs and validate the results
* Produce data visualisations to present the results in Power BI
* Conduct research and provide advice on approaches
* Work with the Directors to document prerequisites and dependencies for successful project implementation
* Report on project impact
Skills and experience
* IT/Computing undergraduate or graduate
* Strong communication skills, being able to work as part of a team and as an individual
* Energy and enthusiasm, determination to succeed
* Good organisational skill and focused, problem-solving ability
* Prepared to fully participate in the commitment of the company to achieving the goals of the project
* Interest in and passion for analytics and data science with an appetite for creating solutions to support decision making
* An understanding of the basics of predictive techniques and/or statistics
* Knowledge of application tools that could be used to support the decision-making process
* Knowledge of cloud infrastructure and how businesses can utilise cloud storage to provide data lakes and overcome the challenges set by big data
* Some experience using coding languages such as Python or Java, using tools such as Numpy, Scipy & Pandas.
The position is offered on a full time, fixed term contract for 6 months (24 weeks/900 hours)
Expected Start Date: As soon as possible (subject to agreement)
The role will be situated within the host businesses premises.
Business Location: Fenton, Stoke on Trent
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.co.uk.