What’s it all about?
The Database team is part of Infrastructure’s Distributed Systems Division and is responsible for delivering open system database infrastructures with operational excellence, being the industry leader in preventive and predictive operations driven by continuous innovation through self heal and automated ecosystems, architecting, engineering, and building the reliable, scalable, secure, available, and cost-effective database infrastructure solutions for product development partners; working closely with them to use database products to best effect, meeting various workload requirements, being transactional, analytical, non-relational, or data warehouse.
The wider DBA team is the technology owner of multiple RDBMS and NoSQL technologies, is responsible to strategise, advance, and engineer enterprise solution for automated build/patching and efficient administration, that meet security, availability, performance, fast delivery and reporting requirements, and to support projects and products using these technologies.
As an engineer in this team, the individual will be involved in the build and run activities related to DB2 and NoSQL database technology and infrastructure. The role will contribute to solution engineering and support as well as being responsible for delivering database projects, maintaining running systems and performing problem analysis and troubleshooting. The individual should be well versed in database administration and engineering practices and principles. The individual will share the responsibility of overall database build, deployment and support. He or she will provide technical influence and subject matter expertise for the database team, responsible for solving complex problems and taking a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions. The role serves as a technical/functional specialist and must be able to work both as part of a team and independently with guidance only in the most complex situations.
What we expect of you, day to day.
Support Database Platform Engineering in the development and deployment of either DB2 UDB on LUW and DB2 partitioned databases/ DPF in high SLA environments or similar for Cassandra, Mongo and Redis. This includes, but is not limited to, advanced to expert engineering and implementation of the following:
* Install, configure, monitor, upgrade and maintain databases in production and non-production environments, including DR and patching activity.
* Responsible for responding to and analysing high severity calls, working to resolution and providing root cause analysis.
* Planning and implementing proactive measures for reducing the down time for production environment, as well as capacity management activity and reporting.
* Database administration for off the shelf and internally developed applications, ensuring continuous 24×7 operation and availability in support of mission critical business applications and participating in on-call rotation.
* Write/maintain OS level scripts for DB automation and application maintenance.
* Provide technical expertise and hands-on support in consolidation and migration of databases to new hardware and platforms.
* Proactive and reactive performance analysis, monitoring, troubleshooting and resolution of escalated Level 2 and Level 3 issues.
* Work closely with Infrastructure engineering, product development, business operations, and technical operations to ensure delivery of database services within the SLAs and performance targets
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.co.uk.