Back End Developer
£60,000.00 to £90,000.00
Most of the world's growth and sustainability depends on tasks involving visual understanding, from the detection of disease, to the preservation of nature, to the manufacturing revolutions that pull communities out of poverty. Our customers goal is to create a tool to solve any visual task, and put it in the hands of any business. We are a platform to develop AI data workflows combining automated image annotation, dataset management, and model training to create an almost magical end-to-end experience in bringing autonomous intelligence to life through teachable human actions.
They are a VC backed team of 8, harnessing and automating the ML-ops of some of the world's most ambtious tech companies and AI startups. What sets them apart is there team's obsession with automation and pushing there product to where AI will be three years from today, delightful UX, and a stable back end that our users trust. That is where you come in.
Joining a small startup team, you will create a lasting impact on the company and have the opportunity to shape culture and products around your vision and personality. Your work will enable hundreds of developer teams to reshape human society in ways never seen before, some of which leverage our customer for:
* Fighting climate change by analyzing shorelines via satellites.
* Improving the welfare of farm animals by spotting ill cattle while they can still be treated.
* Using drones to scan the aftermath of hurricanes and spot areas locked-off from ground access.
* Understanding the severity of COVID-19 to predict the chance of ICU admission.
* Identifying the healthiest embryos in IVF to create new, healthy human lives.
* Teaching robots how to prepare a salad.
Back end engineers at our customer ensure that complex operations involving visual data can be performed smoothly through a web interface. Here's some things your counterparts developed in the last 3 months:
* A system to route images or videos as actionable tasks through a workflow involving customizable filter and sampling parameters, in order to create the "assembly lines" required to train AI.
* A method of speeding up the loading of vectors on demand, to display the "visualization" of what AI detects in real-time.
* A system to edit annotations in video including complex polygon interpolations, relying on the BE to dynamically load new frames as the user scrubs a video.
* A system to convert data from JSON formats to a variety of formats used by deep learning scientists to enable our customer to act as a hub across any other ML tool.
Examples of challenges ahead of you may include
* Enabling image recognition tasks to be attributed an arbitrary number of states, which may change as they travel through a workflow.
* Implementing webhook endpoints for 3rd party services to send and receive image and video data or related annotations into our customer.
* Implementing a performant way of handling medical imaging so it can be rendered in 3D
* Allowing large amounts of data to move in between image datasets from user commands.
Back end roles at our customer are supported by experienced front-end developers and designers.
Our BE is in Elixir (Erlang) with Phoenix, and FE is Vue.js. Our deep learning framework of choice is Pytorch. We don't expect you to know Pytorch. If you don't know Elixir, that's ok, but you'll have to learn it.
* A proven interest in computer science from a young age and strong portfolio of projects.
* Strong experience with functional programming. Elixir experience is secondary to familiarity with FP fundamentals, but it is very welcome!
* A CV that demonstrates an early interest in computer science.
* A curious, scientific mind.
* Fluent in English
Perks & Benefits:
* Unlimited vacation, just tell us when you need time off.
* Paid tickets, accommodation, and travel to relevant conferences, nationally or internationally (NeurIPS, ICCV, CVPR, […]) to expand your network & knowledge during normal times.
* Yearly 4-day company retreats in stunning locations (subject to safety)
* Central office in front of Victoria Station with standing desks & 4K monitors.
* Unlimited high-quality coffee, tea, snacks, and other comforts every day.
* Ability to work remotely.
* Stock options
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.co.uk.